Rutgers Research Awards and R&D Expenditures
Key Points on Research Grants and Sponsored Programs
- Rutgers’ research grants and sponsored programs from all sources last year (fiscal year 2016) increased by 4.1% from $612.5 million in FY2015 to $637.9 million in FY2016 (read more here).
- Rutgers University–New Brunswick last year brought in $293.8 million in research grants and contracts, which is 4.5% less than than its FY2015 total of $307.8 million.
- Federal funding for Rutgers research was approximately $335.5 million in FY2016, which is 11% greater than the prior year ($303.2 million), despite flat funding levels nationwide.
- Research support from corporations to Rutgers researchers increased by 28% last year over the previous year (from $31 million to $39.7 million).
- Rutgers funding from the State of New Jersey for research and sponsored programs decreased by 16% from 2015 ($177.9 million) to 2016 ($148.9 million).
- Rutgers’ grants from the National Science Foundation declined by 0.4% last year, from $55.5 million in 2015 down to $55.3 million in 2016.
- Rutgers’ research funding from foundations grew by 14%, from $99.9 million to $113.8 million).
Key Points on R&D Expenditures -- Source: National Science Foundation (NSF) HERD Survey